Monday 14 October 2013

Cereus pedunculatus - Daisy Anemone
Photograph by Matt Slater 
Thought I'd share this photograph of a Daisy anemone taken using my olympus TG2 waterproof point and shoot camera this summer in the lagoon at Hannafore point Looe. Its such an amazing habitat - the shallow  low tide lagoon is home to an astonishing diversity of marine wildlife, eel grass and a huge diversity of seaweeds. Daisy anemones are often found in sandy filled gullys or pools from the low shore to as deep as 50m. This one was sheltered next to a rocky reef. the holdfast of the anemone is attached to bed rock or a large stone below the gravel, when disturbed they quickly retract into the sand and dissapear. This is the largest daisy anemone that I have ever seen and was 5 inches (12 cm approx) across and reminded me of the large tropical bubble tip anemones that clown fish live in.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Matt,

    I'm working on a paper that is describing the algal symbionts living in Cereus and am looking for images of the host. Would you be willing to share one with me? Thank you.

    Todd

    ReplyDelete